The hubs wrote answers to these reflection questions recently and sent them to me. I did the exercise too, and found it really beneficial, since they are also a spiritual checklist of sorts. Sharing the questions (and some excerpts of my thoughts) here.
Take a morning off to ponder these things, or seek out a quiet spot over lunch (or your kid’s naptime) for some solitary reflection.
Here’s a photo of the first ‘moonrise’ I’ve ever seen, captured off Blue Mountain Kelong in Batam recently. Thought it was apt, since the rising of the moon signals the end of a day, and the reflections that come at that time.
Reflections for 2016
- What are 3 to 5 new things that I have done this year, that I would like to do again next year?
[My thoughts included certain spiritual disciplines, such as family devotions, as well as regular physical exercise.]
2. What are the books that I have read this year?
[I read 45 books this year, tracked through Goodreads, whee.]
3. This year, how have I grown in the “grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ? 1 Peter 3:18
[Guess this is very personal to each individual. In general, I found myself growing the most through service in ministry, as well as reading and reflecting on how to apply what I have read.]
4. What was the most trying situation this year, and what are the lessons that God has taught me?
[This was a very, very, very trying year. Learnt a lot on facing adversity, God’s unfailing grace, and being there for people who are also facing trials.]
5. What are 3 to 5 things that I have not done this year, such that I would like to do next year?
[Again a list of spiritual disciplines, including being very intentional about taking half a day off per quarter if possible, for silent retreats. Also some aspirations on relating to my kids and husband.]
6. What are the books that I aim to read next year?
[I found this Reading Challenge 2017 by Tim Challies very inspiring. Am hoping to adopt a version of it for 2017.]
7. What am I looking forward to 2017?
[10th year wedding anniversary! Family trips, hopefully including another mission trip.]